Gretchen and Gene A. Budig Distinguished Librarian Award
This $3,000 award is presented annually to a library faculty member who demonstrates meritorious professional performance and service. The award, endowed by the Budigs in 2001, succeeds the Chancellor's Award for Distinguished Librarianship that Gene Budig initiated in 1989 during his tenure as KU Chancellor.
Librarians at the University of Kansas are evaluated first and foremost on the performance of their professional responsibilities. Therefore, the primary criterion for selection of the recipient is a strong record of professional performance. In addition, the recipient will demonstrate a record of active professional service and scholarship, as well as a strong reputation among professional colleagues. The award is intended to recognize the lifetime achievements of an individual however, in the absence of lifetime achievements, recent significant achievements will also be considered.
To be eligible for nomination, a librarian must have completed five years at the faculty rank with the two most recent years on the library faculty at the University of Kansas, prior to the date nominations are due: June 14, 2019 by 5:00pm. Click here to see eligible faculty to nominate.
A call for nominations will be made annually by the Libraries administration. Any person or group of persons affiliated with the University of Kansas may nominate an individual. Nominators are asked to supply the following information to the Selection Committee via webform:
- letter explaining the nominee's achievements and credentials that qualify him/her for the award
- document suggesting names and contact information for evaluations, i.e. colleagues who can comment on the nominee's contributions to librarianship
- HR will pull a copy of the nominee's CV using Faculty PRO
It is recommended (but not required) that the nominator inform the nominee of her/his nomination, and consult the nominee for names of colleagues, both at the University of Kansas and beyond, who are knowledgeable of the nominee's contributions to librarianship.
Nominations will remain active for two years. Librarians not selected in their first year of nomination will be reconsidered for a second time along with the newly nominated candidates. Previous nominators will be asked to update their nominations to reflect any additional accomplishments by the nominee.
The selection committee will solicit evaluations from the nominee's past and present supervisors and from colleagues suggested by the nominator.
A selection committee appointed annually by the dean of KU Libraries will review nominations and make a recommendation to the dean. The committee will consist of the following: three librarians, one member of the teaching faculty, and one library administrator (ex officio, without vote). This committee also shares responsibility for selecting the Anschutz-Budig Outstanding Librarian Award. Neither a nominator nor any nominee (including previous year non-recipients being reconsidered) is eligible to serve on the selection committee.
In the event that less than two qualified nominations are received, the award will be suspended until the following year, with any carryover nominations considered at that time.
In making its recommendation to the dean, the selection committee will apply the criteria stated in the description of the award. The report will include a ranked list with justification for each nominee. All nominees will be informed by the dean prior to the announcement of the winner.
All nomination materials will be considered confidential and will be retained in the Library Administrative Office files.
Previous Award Winners
- 2018 - Tami Albin, Associate Librarian
- 2017 - None
- 2016 - Lea Currie, Librarian, Head of Content and Development
- 2015 - Rebecca Schulte, Associate Librarian, University Archivist
- 2014 - Vickie Doll, Chinese Studies Librarian
- 2013 - Kent Miller, Library Administration
- 2012 - Geoff Husic, Slavic and Near Eastern Studies Librarian
- 2011 - Ada Emmett, Scholarly Communications Program Head
- 2010 - John Miller, Special Projects Librarian
- 2008-09 - James Neeley, Engineering Librarian and Head of Spahr Engineering Library
- 2007 - Deborah Dandridge, Kansas Collection Librarian
- 2006 - Judith Emde (LII, Electronic Res. Tech)
- 2003 – Richard W. Clement
- 2002 – William J. Crowe
- 2000 – Brian J. Baird
- 1998 – Bradley L. Schaffner
- 1995 – Robert W. Melton
- 1994 – Sheryl Williams
- 1993 – Frederick Snyder
- 1992 – Susan Craig
- 1991 – Mary Roach
- 1990 – Alexandra Mason