LFPA CRSA Charges
Committee on Research and Scholarly Activities
18.104.22.168 The Committee on Research and Scholarly Activities (CRSA), in keeping with the Libraries' mission, shall encourage, promote, and support research and scholarly activities of the members of the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly.
22.214.171.124 The Committee on Research and Scholarly Activities shall establish and review, on an annual basis, guidelines for the disbursal of funds received from the Dean of Libraries for scholarly pursuits. The Committee shall allocate these funds based on those guidelines. The Committee shall also administer the University's General Research Funds based on the established criteria.
126.96.36.199 The Committee on Research and Scholarly Activities shall compile and maintain documentation on the Libraries' requirements for research and scholarly activities. The Committee shall review this documentation and update it annually to reflect the current faculty requirements. This documentation shall be made available to all Library Faculty members.
188.8.131.52 The Committee on Research and Scholarly Activities shall be composed of five members from the Library Faculty and Professionals Assembly to be appointed by the Executive Committee, three of whom have the requirement to engage in research and scholarly activities as part of their professional assignment. A reasonable effort will be made to appoint members who represent the various ranks of faculty as well as the different units of the Libraries. (from Code and Bylaws)
184.108.40.206 Committee members shall serve two-year overlapping terms. The committee members shall select a presiding officer and a recording secretary.
Special Charges 2012-2013
- To inform and encourage collaboration, develop a list of research projects currently being conducted by all LFPA members.
- Conduct and lead an annual LFPA discussion on developing research projects.
Special Charges 2011-2012 (none)
Special Charges 2010-2011
- To ensure continuity of knowledge and leadership, the incoming chair will meet with the outgoing chair prior to beginning CRSA business in earnest.
- Review the committee webpage, including links to annual reports, minutes, and membership, on the LFPA Intranet. Provide any suggested new information, links, and updates to the Secretary of LFPA Executive Committee. The website is the way this committee communicates to the full LFPA and should provide current and complete information.
- Update, as needed, the CRSA Administration Manual.
- Establish a mechanism to use to ensure timely submission of reports from grant recipients.
- Include the Libraries' Officer for Grants, Research Support, and Assessment in Committee meetings and communications. Evaluate the utility of adding the Officer as an ex-officio member of the committee for FY 2011/2012.
Special Charges 2009-2010
- Since it has been a while since this committee's charges have been reviewed, the committee is charged this year with reviewing all of its standing and special charges carefully. Consider what is needed and not needed in these charges, where the gaps or overlap exist with other committees' charges and activities. Contact and confer with other LFPA committees or library entities if necessary and offer suggestions to reword the standing or special charges based upon your findings.
- Review your webpage on the LFPA's site-consider rewording the descriptive text or adding a paragraph summarizing the committee's purpose if one does not exist right now. The website is the way this committee communicates out to LFPA. Also review links to annual reports, minutes, membership and provide suggested links and updates to the Secretary of LFPA Executive Committee.
- Consider actions based on recommendations discussed in the CRSA annual report 2009 Culture of Scholarship document.
- Compile information for the GRF triennial report; complete the report as required.
Special Charges 2007-2008
- The Committee shall produce minutes of all meetings within two weeks of a meeting taking place and will send those minutes to the LFA Exec Secretary (Jon Giullian) for posting on the LFA Web site.
- Annually track GRF recipients, and have them report on grant-related activities and progress. Develop procedures to ensure full reporting on the triennial report to the University Committee on Research.
- Sponsor at least two research-oriented programs during FY2008.
Special Charges 2006-2007
- The Committee will produce minutes of all meetings within two weeks of a meeting taking place and will send those minutes to LFA Secretary, Brian Rosenblum, so that he may publish them on the LFA Web site.
- Continue to develop a manual with procedures and guidelines for the Committee so that institutional memory is not lost a the change of membership each year and continuity is assured. (The former chair of CRSA, Lyn Wolz, has volunteered to work with the new committee to finish this project.)
- Continue to document LRF and GRF awards and outcomes of projects on the Committee’s Web site on an annual basis so that information for the triennial report for KUCR is easier to collect.
- Continue to offer three to four research-oriented programs during the fall and spring semesters. Collaboration with other groups is encouraged. (See program suggestions in the FY06 CRSA Annual Report.) (LFA Exec encourages CRSA to sponsor an annual grant writing workshop and other standard annual programs.)
- Develop and implement ideas for new ways to recognize library staff members for their accomplishments in research and service. (See suggestions for recognition in the FY06 CRSA Annual Report.)
- Develop a procedure for reminding GRF and LRF recipients to spend all of their funds on time, to request carryover of funds from one fiscal year to the next, and to report on results of their previous awards. (KUCR sends tickler messages on an annual basis.)
- Develop a calendar to be posted on the LFA Web site that includes such information as deadlines for grants and CRSA deadlines for granting research funds.
Special Charges 2005-2006
- Please be sure the Committee produces minutes of all meetings, and publishes those minutes on the Web in a timely fashion. The minutes only need approval by the originating Committee; approval by the LFA Executive Committee is not necessary. An electronic copy of the minutes should go to the secretary of the LFA Executive Committee. Please use a standardized naming convention, such as the abbreviated name of the committee and the date of the meeting. (For example, notes of the LFA Executive Committee for July 11, 2005, would be named “LFAEXEC071105.DOC.”) The secretary will ensure that a copy goes to the University Archives. (For 2005-2006 the secretary is Keith Russell.)
- Continue to offer three to four research-oriented programs to be planned for the fall and spring semesters, sponsored by the Committee or co-sponsored with other committees and groups. Please consult the FY04-05 annual report for suggested topics.
- Continue to document LRF and GRF awards and outcomes of projects on the Committee’s Web page. It should not be necessary any longer to maintain separate Access files.
- Develop a manual with procedures and guidelines for the Committee to facilitate and ensure continuity from year to year.
- Please develop criteria and guidelines the Committee would follow if requests for funding exceeded available funds. Please bring those recommended criteria and guidelines to the Spring 2006 LFA general meeting for discussion. Following adoption, please include them in the manual being developed.
- Establish a venue or other way to facilitate the sharing of research and other scholarly efforts by KU Libraries faculty and staff. One example would be presentations that are either trial runs of presentations or poster sessions they will be making in the future at conferences, or presentations already made. Please consider ways to recruit faculty and staff to make these presentations, particularly if they receive CRSA funding related to their work and presentations.
- Continue to develop avenues to encourage applications for LRF and GRF.
Special Charges 2004-2005
- There is some interest in CRSA activities from unclassified professionals. Review whether unclassified professionals should be eligible to participate. LFA Exec has appoint Rhonda Houser, an unclassified professional, to participate in this review with CRSA.
- Promote ways to encourage applications for the GRF and LRF.
- Work with the SDC, Research Roundtable, and the Mentoring Program Committee on possible research topic programs.
- Keep all CRSA committee files and grant awards information at the web page location: <http://www.lib.ku.edu/~lfa/crsa>. Keep the GRF and LRF recipients and project titles current on the CRSA web page. Contact previous year's GRF and LRF awardees for grant outcome reports. Link all successful grant applications (exclude the budget information) and outcome reports on the CRSA web page under either GRF or the LRF page.
- Create a simple Access database to keep all GRF and LRF recipients, project title, award outcomes for future record keeping and report query.
- Update annually the LFA Research Interests Directory at the beginning of fall semester.
- Continue to monitor and obtain monthly report of CRSA fund balance.
- Communicate with LRF awardees to ensure they meet their award spending timetable, and request LRF completion or condition report at the end of spring semester.
Special Charges 2002-2003
- Maintain and keep the CRSA web site current and include information about SDC programs and activities as well as meeting agendas and minutes, annual reports and links to relevant sites.
- Since there is no grants coordinator position for 2002-2003, CRSA will need to decide how to take over the responsibilities from that position.
- Following the Dean's recommendations made in a memo to the CRSA from Shannon Royer, the CRSA will work with Shannon Royer and Jo Nell Proctor to change the LRF guidelines and procedures for awarding and tracking LRF money and to make sure the bylaws are correct for the new procedures.
Special Charges 2001-2002
- In apportioning the money in the Library Research Fund decide how to balance requests from faculty who have not received a research grant previously and those from faculty who have.
- Make a recommendation to LFA Exec on wording to cover this situation. Continue expansion of the CRSA web site, particularly those portions still under development.
- Additional charges may be added throughout the year as deemed appropriate by the LFA Executive Committee.